Come join me in my journey through the love of cooking, through difficult Creme Brulé's and easy peesy salads. Sharing my passion for cooking, great food...Let's bring the yummyness home.



Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Chicken Pie pots


When I hear Chicken pie I think back of when I was a little girl and on a Sunday lunch we would have Chicken pie...golden goodness how can anyone with stand it.  Crispy crust with juicy flavourful chicken on the inside.  There is almost nothing more homely than that. 

I decided it was time to jazz up my old recipe of chicken pie and make them into individual pots.  Each person can have their own little pot or two and you can eat to your hearts delight.  I must admit these looked so good that I forgot to take a picture of them out of the tray...the smells coming from my kitchen was truly indescribable....absolute yummyness. 



So what do you need:

8/9 pieces chicken
olive oil
herbs & spices
150 ml Mayonnaise
Vermicelli (2 minute noodles)
Puff pastry
Flour
Egg

Two muffin pans.

Here we go:

1.  Drizzle your pot with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle some herbs and spices and then add you raw chicken.  Brown the chicken in the pot, adding a little bit of water when needed.  When the chicken is cooked let it cool off and then debone the pieces discarding the skin. (I actually took of the skin while it was cooking)  Don't clean up the chicken pot yet.  Place all the pieces in a bowl, add the Mayonnaise and mix it in very well with the chicken. 

2.  Cook a packet of 2 minute noodles or you can use cooked vermicelli pasta.  Add the cooked pasta to the chicken, make sure that the noodles are cut into tiny pieces. (I hope this makes sense)

3.  Take the uncleaned pot where the chicken was cooked in, add about 200ml of water, put the heat on and let it simmer.  Add a small about of flour to thicken the watery sauce.  This will become our gravy as all the chicken "goodness" is in this mixture.  Now add about 100ml of this mixture to the chicken, if the chicken still seems to be dry add some more.



4.  On flat surface sprinkle a little flour so that you can roll out the puff pastry.  Roll out the pastry, I used a glass big glass to make my circles.  I then sprayed the muffin containers and then gently placed each pastry circle in the muffin "pocket".  Cover each pocket with a bit of egg so that the juices from the chicken doesn't get absorbed by the pastry and is cooked properly.


5.  Now to add our yummy filling, and don't be shy make it a good portion.


6.  I used the same glass for the circles on the top also.  Cut them out and place them gently on top of the filled "pot".  Then press down the sides lightly so the they almost and in some cases they will connect.  As you can see in my picture below. 



7.  Now brush each pot with some egg, the egg is used to give it the golden brown colour.  Here they are all ready for the oven...





8.  Place them in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes at 180C or until they are golden delicious brown.




Serve with love firstly and ok some rice, sweeten peas, cauliflower and cheese sauce and you are all set to go.




Bon appetit





No comments:

Post a Comment