Come join me in my journey through the love of cooking, through difficult Creme Brulé's and easy peesy salads. Sharing my passion for cooking, great food...Let's bring the yummyness home.



Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Roasted Leg of Lamb & Veggies

So lately i've been on a healthy eating plan, so it's been a bit hard to make dishes that I could blog.  So as a treat I made us a Leg of Lamb for our Sunday lunch.  Wow if I must say so myself, it's always a winner and so easy to make.  It can be so full of flavour and so moist and delisious. 

Life is really about flavours and tastes, be it that you love the aroma's of herbs & spices like me, or like my husbands that loves, and I mean loves the "burn" of a chillie.  We should always try and make the aroma's fill our kichens when we cook....as an invite to the world to say....hey something awesome is happen in this house.

When I made the leg of lamb I added some roasted veggies, brown rice and peas to as additionals, and you wouldn't think it but this meal was totally on my "diet" plan as approved. 

Go on pour yourself a glass of wine put that roast in the oven and relax.

Here we go:

1x Leg of lamb
4/5 medium sized potatoes
1 x packet of button mushrooms
1x packet of brown onion soup
1 x small to medium onion (chopped)
Rosemary & Garlic(dried or fresh)
100ml x Red wine (just for that extra flavour)
Soya sauce
Beef spice

Oven to be on 180º C





1.  Place your leg of lamb on top of the chopped onion, and pour your red wine in over the meat, this will as the lamb cooks draw into it.  Also add your spices now, except for the  rosemary and garlic. Then place into the oven at 180º C

After placing the lamb in the oven for about 20 minutes on 180º C, then take it out of the oven and make some cuts in the top layer of the "fatty part".  I love to take rosemary and garlic mix it with butter or margarien and then put some of the mixture in the cuts that i've made, the flavours gets pulled in to the meat and gives it that wow factor.





 2.  Then before you place it back into the oven cut up your potatoes in ¼ put them in with the lamb, also add your mushrooms, I kept them whole.  Now sprinkle the packet of brown onion soup all over....this will give the meat and everything else a nice flavour and also thicken the "sauce". 
Place it back in the oven, I kept it for about 2 hours in the oven, the meat was reall falling of the bone, and that's how I like it.  I then took it out of the oven and cut if up in equal slices.  Leave it a bit in the "sauce" and then you are ready to dish up. 



3.  For the roasting of the veggies I used sweet potato and butternut, I cut them up into very small blocks and drizzled a bit of oil at the bottom of a oven pan, and then sprinkled some of Knor's Veggie Bake over....Oh my word what a suprise on how nice it came out. 

Now if you don't have or can't find Knor's packet....make your own flavour, add some green, red & yellow peppers, add some rosemary, salt and then you should have such a nice mix of flavours.  Place it into the oven until they are cooked or nice and soft.



Enjoy and let the tastes

1 comment:

  1. I am sitting here giggling at my self. I saw your lamb and veggies on facebook and followed the link. I did not look over at your profile as I was mesmerized by the plate of food. I was thinking that reminded me of Sunday lunch as a little girl in Port Elizabeth. (I am in California now)then I look over and low and behold you are South African. Ek was vas an die slaap. Great blog. That plate of food is real kos.

    ReplyDelete